- 2 lbs chicken (thighs, drumsticks)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 half of a green pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 5 cloves
- 4 black cardamom pods
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (or ½ tsp cinnamon powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Wash rice and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add dry spices, green pepper, and 1 tsp cumin seeds to 3 cups of salted water
- Bring to boil then add chicken and cook for 15-20 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove chicken once cooked. Strain to separate chicken stock and spices and keep both.
- Deep fry sliced onions and set aside.
- Shallow fry chicken until browned and set chicken aside.
- In the pan you used to fry the chicken, add the strained spices, red chili powder, and garam masala. Sauté for several minutes.
- Add 1 cup of rice and cook for a few minutes.
- A 2 cups of the reserved chicken stock from before. Cook rice for 15 minutes.
Serve rice with chicken and fried onions.