Coconut Burfi | नारियल बर्फी
- 4 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 strands saffron
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (or 2 tbsp rose water)
- Pinch of yellow color (optional)
- Silver leaf for decoration
- Heat coconut cream and milk in a pot.
- Add desiccated coconut and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook for 8 minutes, until milk evaporates.
- Add ghee and sugar and mix well. The mixture will turn gooey. Cook until all the moisture evaporates.
- Add saffron and cardamom powder (or rosewater) and mix thoroughly.
- When mixture is done it will be dense, sticky, and aromatic.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased pan and flatten with a spatula to ½ inch thickness.
- Top with silver leaf to decorate.
- Allow to set for 3 hours. It should be firm on top and soft inside. Cut into squares.
Serve with chai.