Kadhi | कढ़ी
- 750 g (3 cups) full fat yogurt
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida
- 2 cups gram flour
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup oil for frying
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 bunch coriander (chopped)
- In a bowl combine gram flour and yogurt. Beat to remove lumps.
- Add 8 cups of water to thin the batter.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a deep pot.
- Add fenugreek seeds to the oil.
- Once browned, add asafoetida and turmeric. Then add the entire liquid batter to the pot.
- Add salt and chili powder. Bring batter to a boil while stirring.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for one hour.
- Combine flour, water, asafoetida, salt, and chili powder. Beat to remove lumps.
- Add baking soda. This batter should be thicker than the gravy batter.
- Heat oil in a cast iron wok on medium heat.
- To fry the pakoras, spoon a tablespoon’s worth of batter into the hot oil. Fry in small batches.
- Turn the pakoras when they are light brown. Fry until fluffy and round.
- When the pakoras are all fried, add to the gravy from earlier and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee with 2 whole red chilies and 1 tsp of paprika for color. Add the hot oil on top of the kadhi.
Serve with plain rice or roti.